Bicycle Boulevards Part Of Path Plan

Walker Evans Walker Evans

NBC4i.com wrote Bicycle Boulevards Part Of Path Plan

Monday, May 12, 2008

Mayor Coleman wants to make Columbus a much more bike-friendly place. Bikes are becoming less of a recreational device and more of a necessity as gas prices skyrocket.

And if bikes are becoming more of a necessity, so goes the city’s bike paths. Within the next 20 years, the number of bike paths and trails in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs will increase to more than 700 miles. That’s 10 times the paths riders have now.

Much of the plan for bike paths and trails was more of a wish list. It included “bicycle boulevards,” which would include a bicycle lane on High Street from Downtown to Morse Road. There also was a plan for a Downtown “bike station” complete with bike parking and a changing area.

15 Responses to Bicycle Boulevards Part Of Path Plan

1. lifeontwowheels May 13, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm

I think the current plan for Bike Boulevards in Columbus is pretty limited. The overall bikeway plan is great, but that was one area I was hoping to see really created and expanded. I do like the emphasis on a complete streets policy and the plan to use the existing network of downtown alleys as bike paths.

2. Columbusite May 13, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm

3. lifeontwowheels May 13, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm

Columbusite wrote Milton in C-Ville is a bike blvd? I’ll have to check that out, as the article seems to use the term “bicycle lane” interchangeably when they are totally different.

I don’t have the maps in front of me, but by 2012 I believe Town in Franklinton and this one in Clintonville are the ones being converted.

I would love to see something more akin to the Berkley network here.

4. JohnWirtz May 14, 2008 8:00 am at 8:00 am

lifeontwowheels wrote

They’re using the alleys? Won’t it be difficult to cross busy streets like Broad, Spring, or Long at unsignalized intersections?

5. lifeontwowheels May 14, 2008 8:05 am at 8:05 am

IIRC, they are significantly changing that part of the infrastructure. I don’t have the map in front of me, but it sounded like it was a lot more than tacking a couple of signs up.

6. BJ May 14, 2008 8:20 am at 8:20 am

The update and addition of bike paths in Columbus is long overdue. I’m glad this project has been taken up.

7. columbus native May 14, 2008 8:26 am at 8:26 am

You know a long time ago when I was a little guy there was a bike lane that ran all the way up high street from downtown to at least hudson. It lasted only a few years if I remember correctly and still put bikes in the road with cars. The only difference was bike lane was written on the pavement every block or so. That simply won’t change the drivers tudes towards bikers.

8. lifeontwowheels May 14, 2008 8:34 am at 8:34 am

No, but the hope is that by adopting a Complete Streets Policy and showing that roads are not just for cars, attitudes can change.

Sheer volume helps as well. More cyclists = more visibility.

9. slightlymadscience
    slightlymadscience May 14, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm

lifeontwowheels wrote

I don’t know how fair it is to compare to Berkeley (not sure if that’s why you included the video). Berkeley and, in general the whole Bay area, has been WAY ahead of Columbus for years in terms of bike-friendliness. Doesn’t hurt that they have far nicer weather (no one there is scouting icebikes.com for advice on extending their commuting season).

The way I see it, the Columbus plan is an important and significant step. Anything that improves bike-friendliness in town is great. The more voters you get to pedal, the more important it’ll become to future elected officials. Since I ride a trike, public transportation will still likely be out of the question to help my pedal commute, but more bike-friendly roads, and more general awareness by local drivers regarding cyclists does help a lot.

Maybe I just have my bar set lower since I not a constant commuter, and only been doing it as weather allowed for 4 years. Now I gotta get better rain gear. :lol:

10. laChewla
    laChewla May 14, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm

Very cool to see Coleman continue to support bikes.

I just wish the article had more details in it. As mentioned above, the article mixes different terms including “bicycle blvds,” “bike paths” and “bike lanes”. Sighting Milton as a “bike boulevard” is absurd. That is one of the most pot-hole plagued messes to ride, drive or walk on. The only good thing is the speed bumps. Also – I can only hope that a large majority of the $ will go to signage, general be bike aware/friendly advertising, and REPAVING.

11. lifeontwowheels May 14, 2008 4:49 pm at 4:49 pm

I included the video of Berkley to show what an expanded Boulevard system can become, for those unfamiliar with the concept.

I think the idea is to connect Park of Roses to Clinton-Como in a more direct way than the Olentangy multi-use path.

12. cmhcow
    cmhcow May 17, 2008 1:33 pm at 1:33 pm

i bike paths are swell, but i don’t live or work along one, so that makes them recreational, not functional. i use the alley system not for most of my commute into downtown. sure, you have to watch yourself when you are crossing any street, but didn’t your mother tell you to look both ways?

Walker May 18, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm

The Dispatch wrote Columbus has big plans for bikes

Sunday, May 18, 2008

BY TIM DOULIN

Add 31 miles of off-street trails and 58 miles of on-street bike lanes and routes.

Make N. High Street friendlier to bicyclists.

Build a Downtown bike station where two-wheel commuters would be able to change clothes and park their bikes.

Those are some of the ideas in an ambitious 288-page plan issued last week by the city. But there is a lot of work to be done before Columbus becomes a biking utopia.

14. lifeontwowheels May 18, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm

Can’t wait to see the LTE this week. :roll:

I need to read through the plan. Started skimming and can’t wait.

Walker November 16, 2010 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm

Portland’s Bike Boulevards Become Neighborhood Greenways:

Portland’s Bike Boulevards Become Neighborhood Greenways from Streetfilms on Vimeo.