Beer, everyone’s favorite food

borschke

So I have been a little busy lately and haven’t had the chance to go out to eat. Sorry kids. The weekend was also spent in Indy getting crunk for St. Patrick’s Day. Basically going on a liquid diet of car bombs and Bass. So, this got me to thinking … what is everyone’s favorite beer and brewery around here. There is nothing better than a good brew and columbus is not short of any new brewery’s. Off the top of my head there is:

Barley

CBC

Elevator House

Gordon Biersch

All of these are really good and offer one of my favorite things to do which are flights where you get to try a little bit of every beer that they make. The problem being that some of them really just aren’t that good. Barley just invited me to a keg tapping party where they are starting a coffee beer …. yeah that just sounds kinda nasty.

So hands down my favorite brew is Strongbow followed by Guiness. Truthfully, I think that I would pick one of these over almost any brewery beer. I know that may be sad to some people but hey thats why I am making this post. Where is your favorite place to go? Sorry for the lack of review but its been busy. Next week I will do better I promise!

71 Responses to Beer, everyone’s favorite food

1. mellotron
    mellotron March 18, 2007 10:50 am at 10:50 am

6:30 am? Shouldn’t you have a splitting headache right now??? :lol:

So, since you mentioned non-Cbus beers, I’ll mention my favs: I like the mild bitterness of Czech Pilsners, specifically Urquell and Staropramen. Also, I never remember the names, but I’ve never had a Belgian Abbey Ale that wasn’t delicious.

As for local micros, I’m realizing I don’t frequent them enough. But with a small sample size, I’m going with The Elevator at the moment.

2. brothermarcus
    brothermarcus March 18, 2007 10:50 am at 10:50 am

Favorite Beer:

Sleeman’s, Canadia’s #1 Craft Beer… makes me happy in my mouth. Meijer carries their honey brown and original on occasion.

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale is also very good, they have it at Surly Girl. MAC bar has Tetleys, which is also one of my favourites.

As far as local breweries, I’ve never been satisfied by anything around here- I’m not a snob but some of them taste like bug spray. Great Lakes Brewery has some varieties that I can tolerate, but I haven’t enjoyed a single beer from any of the greater Columbus area breweries to date. I’d love to be proven wrong and handed a kick-ass beer from a local, but I doubt that will happen.

3. Coremodels
    Coremodels March 18, 2007 10:59 am at 10:59 am

LOVE IT!

4. naps
    naps March 18, 2007 9:00 pm at 9:00 pm

Barley’s makes some great beers!!! I used to work for Hoster’s a LONG time ago, they brewed some good beers too!!! Too bad they didn’t make it though, I liked that spot!

BUT damn I miss Great Lakes beers!! Great brewing company!!! 8)

Oh the beers of Ohio….. :( how I miss thee

5. vestanpance
    vestanpance March 18, 2007 9:07 pm at 9:07 pm

If you like English beer, this is the best of the best

(Tetley’s Bitter if the picture link breaks)

6. CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand March 19, 2007 7:10 am at 7:10 am

Claddaugh has a great beer flight – 11 three ounce beers. Yummy. Studio 35 has a monthly glass special – buy the glass and get $2 refills in that class for the rest of the run of that beer. (Not sure if they still do that with all of the changes going on there).

7. Rocknrolloutlaws March 19, 2007 8:12 am at 8:12 am

Barley’s (and, even more so Barley’s #2) is my pick for best micro-brewery in town. I usually find that most places there are at least one or two of their beers that aren’t quite as good as the rest, or are geared towards people who don’t really actually like beer. At Barleys though i’ve found that every single thing they have is delicious.

I like #2 better because of the bbq there. their ribs are delicious.

8. Coremodels
    Coremodels March 19, 2007 8:20 am at 8:20 am

Word from some of the Park people was that the new Z Pub (Taverna Opa’s old spot on High) has a huge selection of beer, going to have to check that out myself!

9. Brewmaster
    Brewmaster March 19, 2007 8:25 am at 8:25 am

1) Elevator

2) CBC

3) all the rest

10. Ndcent
    Ndcent March 19, 2007 9:22 am at 9:22 am

When drinking beer to drink beer, I like to do so with the seasons.

When dining I like to order beer to compliment the meal.

Without getting into specific brands, the styles of beer I like most are IPA’s and Imperial IPA’s, followed by American Pales, ESB’s, Belgian Ales, or Lambics even.

Beers I very much don’t like are White Ales of any sort, Nut Brown Ales and Miller Lite.

If I was stranded on a deserted island with one beer to drink forever, I would pick Guinness.

Beers that make my heart happy include all of Stone Brewing Co.’s IPA and Imperial IPA’s…Arrogant Bastard, Double Bastard, Ruination, Etc. Or Dog Fish Head 120 min or 90 min IPA’s, or Bells Two Hearted. Chimay’s trio of ales, Unibroue (spl?) beers…the Maudite, the Tres Pistoles, the green apple Ephemere…really almost anything from Bells – Great Lakes – Dog Fish Head – etc. so many more.

Bells has an EXCELLENT limited spring release out right now if it’s not all gone yet called Consecrator Dopplebock…it’s about $13 a six pack but totally worth it.

I could talk about beer all day.

11. vestanpance
    vestanpance March 19, 2007 9:55 am at 9:55 am

Ndcent wrote

I could talk about beer all day.

I could drink beer all day :D

English bitters are still my fav.

12. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty March 19, 2007 1:34 pm at 1:34 pm

I can and have drank just about anything from black label to guinness, cept never had a Blatz.

13. 20thousandinmypocket March 19, 2007 2:08 pm at 2:08 pm

I dont know i dont drink any of these beers never really got into them. I still strick to either heini or corona 80% of the time, and the other 20% would be guniess. here and there i might buy other brands but for the most part i keep it simple.

14. Coremodels
    Coremodels March 19, 2007 2:10 pm at 2:10 pm

15. vestanpance
    vestanpance March 19, 2007 2:26 pm at 2:26 pm

Coremodels wrote If you like those two, you’d probably like Stella. It’s very light, but lot of flavor…I’m hooked.

Just don’t be shocked when you order it and they bring it to you in a stupid looking glass. :shock:

for an everyday beer i too mostly drink Heni.

16. Ndcent
    Ndcent March 19, 2007 2:33 pm at 2:33 pm

I never realized until just the other day that those Stella bottles are 11.2oz.

BASTARDS!

17. logan March 20, 2007 4:27 am at 4:27 am

raspberry winter ale from barley. hands down.

18. ddavis March 23, 2007 3:32 pm at 3:32 pm

I recently had Columbus Brewing Company apricot ale and it was very tasty with just a hint of apricot. I really enjoyed it. A great seasonal is Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. And I enjoy a Blue Moon or Rolling Rock on occassion. Really I’m game for all types of beers.

19. Brewmaster
    Brewmaster March 23, 2007 3:41 pm at 3:41 pm

So I went back to Lotus last night to find that they had beer on tap (the previous two times I went they were still getting the system up and running).

They had some phenomenal drafts…Guiness, Boddington’s, Great Lakes Burning River, Arrogant Bastard Pale Ale, and Dogfish Head IPA!

Fantastic selection…especially for pale ale and IPA lovers like myself. It’s pretty hard to find those last three on tap!

20. Ndcent
    Ndcent March 23, 2007 3:44 pm at 3:44 pm

Should there be a Columbus Underground Beerdie meetup?

21. Brewmaster
    Brewmaster March 23, 2007 3:51 pm at 3:51 pm

ddavis wrote A great seasonal is Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

I’ve had that…and it is tasty!

The Elevator just had a Chocolate Stout in January and currently has a Coffee Porter. I liked the stout better, but the Coffee Porter is definitely worth trying.

And I second Ndcent’s idea!

22. vestanpance
    vestanpance March 23, 2007 4:00 pm at 4:00 pm

Brewmaster wrote Boddington’s!

yummm

23. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty March 23, 2007 4:02 pm at 4:02 pm

Ndcent wrote Should there be a Columbus Underground Beerdie meetup?

Yes. I believe there should.

should start with places that either brew their own beer, or carry many different hard to get beers on tap (eg surly girl)

24. Ndcent
    Ndcent March 23, 2007 4:08 pm at 4:08 pm

I’ll take a shot at organizing a Columbus Beer Hop…pun intended.

Stay tuned.

25. twistofreality
    twistofreality March 23, 2007 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm

Ndcent wrote Should there be a Columbus Underground Beerdie meetup?

Soon, CU will have as many “meetups” as Columbus has “hops”.

26. Jim Lauwers
    JimL2 March 24, 2007 8:23 am at 8:23 am

borschke wrote So hands down my favorite brew is Strongbow.

I was a little shocked when I read this. I cannot stand hops, so my drink of choice tends to be hard cider (with a Belgian wheat beer as a ready standby). But Strongbow seems to be way overpriced considering what it is… as far as I can tell, it’s the Budweiser of the UK.

However, I’ve never been willing to pony up the $8 to buy a four-pack of it, and I’ve certainly never seen it on tap, so… am I missing out on something here? What do you like about it??

Also if anyone has any suggestions on where to get hard cider on draught around here–or where to get a non-Woodchuck Amber/non-Strongbow hard cider in bottles, I’d really appreciate it. I’m always looking for an excuse to drink something that tastes good.

I read recently that Mad Mex has Woodchuck 802 on draught, so I might head up there later today. Oh wait, now their website says they only have Strongbow on draught. Well, fine.

I’ll get you for this, Mad Mex. Just you wait…

27. vestanpance
    vestanpance March 24, 2007 9:17 am at 9:17 am

JimL2 wrote [as far as I can tell, it's the Budweiser of the UK.

Well it is sorta the budweiser of the UK but it’s still not a bad IMO. I think they have it on tap at Macs

28. brothermarcus
    brothermarcus March 25, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am

i had strongbow draught at brazenhead on 5th? i’ve had it from the tap several places around town.

29. ddavis March 26, 2007 4:51 pm at 4:51 pm

Brewmaster wrote Also…a company called Rogue Brewing Co. makes a great Chocolate Stout and an even better Mocha Porter. They also make great bitter ales. Trader Joe’s and the BD Kroger carry them.

I’ve had the Rogue Mocha Porter as well and it was good too! Anderson’s also carry’s Rogue….

30. BreakfastwithNick
    ndekke39 March 26, 2007 5:07 pm at 5:07 pm

Mmmm… some great choices on beer listed here. I personally go for Barley’s and Elevator as my favorite local breweries. I’d love to see more! Favorite beers include almost anything from the above breweries, plus Great Lakes Brewing Co, Bell’s, Founder’s, Goose Island, Great Divide.

Grapes of Mirth (at North Market)

Spagio Cellars

Gentile’s (King & Northstar)

Anderson’s

Trader Joe’s

31. Ndcent
    Ndcent March 27, 2007 9:05 am at 9:05 am

ndekke39 wrote Grapes of Mirth (at North Market)

Spagio Cellars

Gentile’s (King & Northstar)

Anderson’s

Trader Joe’s

I’m not familar with Spagio or Gentiles…I’ll have to check them out.

I’d add to your list:

Weilands Gormet Market (3600 Indianola)

Viking Premium Beverage (237 King)

Andy’s Carryout (2480 N. High)

32. twistofreality
    twistofreality March 28, 2007 4:59 pm at 4:59 pm

ndekke39 wrote So, to expand the discussion… what are your favorite places to buy beer (i.e. for consumption at home)? My favorites include:

Grapes of Mirth (at North Market)

Spagio Cellars

Gentile’s (King & Northstar)

Anderson’s

Trader Joe’s

Anderson’s is definitely at the top of my list. Whole Foods has a very decent selection, as well. I like that their selection of standard domestic beers takes up about four feet cubed.

There’s a place just north of where 315 stops being a freeway called Hill’s Market that has a pretty decent selection, as well.

33. ddavis March 28, 2007 5:33 pm at 5:33 pm

Jungle Jim’s (when I happen to be in Cinci).

34. WildmanDan March 30, 2007 8:55 pm at 8:55 pm

I would add Palmers at 3375 Indianola in Clintonville (not open on Sunday however), and Kenny Road Market at 4958 Kenny Road (right after Godown Road) has a hug selection that you dont expect looking at it from the outside.

35. Ndcent
    Ndcent March 31, 2007 3:46 pm at 3:46 pm

Ndcent wrote
    ndekke39 wrote Grapes of Mirth (at North Market)

Spagio Cellars

Gentile’s (King & Northstar)

Anderson’s

Trader Joe’s

I’m not familar with Spagio or Gentiles…I’ll have to check them out.

I’d add to your list:

Weilands Gormet Market (3600 Indianola)

Viking Premium Beverage (237 King)

Andy’s Carryout (2480 N. High)

I would like to remove Viking from the list of places I buy beer.

Apparently they recently JACKED their prices up, to where most common six packs are between $8.50 and $9.99.

Ex: Fullers ESB = $9.99.

I’m sorry but that is a blatant rip off, so a big FYYFF goes to everyone at Viking “premium beverages.” I will never buy beer there again.

36. WildmanDan March 31, 2007 6:26 pm at 6:26 pm

I quite agree about Viking, they have always been overpriced, plus they stock beer that clearly past it’s due date, such as breweries that haven’t been in business in over two years as the most painful example.

37. Brewmaster
    Brewmaster March 31, 2007 9:43 pm at 9:43 pm

Just picked up a six pack of Stockyard Oatmeal Stout at TJ’s for $5 or $6. I’d recommend it if it were $8. An awesome stout with a nice smokey chocolate/coffee flavor. Tasty.

Walker March 31, 2007 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm

Ndcent wrote I’ll take a shot at organizing a Columbus Beer Hop…pun intended.

Perhaps we can find a good spot where we could do some sort of BYOB meetup. Everyone brings a 6-pack of their favorite beer that they want everyone else to try, and then everyone who attends get to try six different beers from the stash?

:?:

39. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty April 24, 2007 9:38 am at 9:38 am

I’m thirsty. whatever happened to this meeting? Saturday preferred.

40. Ndcent
    Ndcent April 24, 2007 9:39 am at 9:39 am

Fuck I give up…

I can host…and drink…as far as conceiving original ideas and implimenting them, darrrr…

41. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty April 24, 2007 9:41 am at 9:41 am

walkers idea is good. but if mtg in a bar pick a place. surly girls selection is great and they have a back room for us all to sit. I heard thirsty ear has a great selection of tap beers as well.

take the reins.

42. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty April 24, 2007 9:43 am at 9:43 am

some consideration for having it centrally would be nice, also consider people need to get home so no out of the way obscure places either.

Walker April 24, 2007 9:43 am at 9:43 am

Could just do the 6-pack-fest idea at your place then, nd. 8)

44. Ver-snatchie
    Ver-snatchie April 24, 2007 9:54 am at 9:54 am

i love a good orgy of ideas

we can do it at our place we have a great back yard plenty of parking and we are totally centrally located ….

With the exception of dirt bike trips here are some great dates for us

Sat May 12 or Sunday May 13

Sat May 25 or Sunday May 26

Sat June 1 or Sunday June 2

I love the BYOB we also havea grill so it could be a BYOMeat

maybe a restaurant or a FEW could sponsor some Appetizers….

sniff sniff i smell a summer party

45. Ndcent
    Ndcent April 24, 2007 10:00 am at 10:00 am

Saturday May 12.

Six Pack Jump Off.

6pm…my place…be there – or don’t, wtf do i care?

Being this time of year I want to see some mai-bocks, spring ales, double bocks, etc.

I will make grill snacks and the Wii will be ready.

46. Ver-snatchie
    Ver-snatchie April 24, 2007 10:02 am at 10:02 am

perfect!

Email either ndcent or myself for address and parking detials

we are located in the short north just steps away from the park

47. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty April 24, 2007 10:12 am at 10:12 am

Ndcent wrote Fuck I give up…

well, so much for giving up :)

good thing your girl kicked your ass in gear! thanks jenn!:)

48. borschke April 24, 2007 11:39 am at 11:39 am

I love how we are creating so many other meetups this is awesome. A meetup to boose a meet up for food a meetup for …. monthly meetup. Lets booze it up!

49. 3horseshoes April 28, 2007 7:58 pm at 7:58 pm

ddavis wrote Jungle Jim’s (when I happen to be in Cinci).

my home away from university is just 5 minutes away from JJ’s. :) i’ve been so spoiled growing up with it right there, i love that place.

another good place in cinci is the party source, technically it’s in newport, ky. just across the river. this place is insanely huge. among the choices they stock are basically all the bell’s and rogue.

honestly, giant eagle is sometimes the best for cheap deals on good microbrews. they always have all the seasonal essentials

50. Daz May 3, 2007 2:16 pm at 2:16 pm

Since there are quite a few people in here with some taste, what are the best locals?

I’m an avid drinker of the IPA, so that is always preferable, but I appreciate all types (with the exception of bad beer, man.. I’m getting really sick of going out and only seeing bad beer on tap… KILLIANS IS NOT GOOD!!! WHO PUT THIS IDEA IN YOUR HEADS?!?!?! IT IS PISS BEER JUST LIKE BUDWEISER AND JUST LIKE MILLER!!!!! ahem.. ok.. I’m done..)

51. Ndcent
    Ndcent May 3, 2007 2:19 pm at 2:19 pm

Honestly I’m not very fond of many of the local brews.

As deep as my love of beer goes…I can’t say I have a hometown favorite.

52. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty May 3, 2007 2:24 pm at 2:24 pm

as far as I know you have barleys, cols brewing co, and elevator. but I dont drink them. I used to drink hosters when i used to go there, but it is closed. but if you consider great lakes local(cleveland), that’s my pick anytime I buy a quality beer(aka not piss) from the market.

53. Daz May 3, 2007 2:26 pm at 2:26 pm

Ndcent, that makes me sad inside, very much unlike what beer normally does.

54. Ndcent
    Ndcent May 3, 2007 2:29 pm at 2:29 pm

Ok, if we can go for Ohio Breweries…then most definately Great Lakes Brewing.

Their new Commodore Perry IPA is damn good!

55. Daz May 3, 2007 2:32 pm at 2:32 pm

Can I purchase this at.. persay.. a Giant Eagle?

56. Ndcent
    Ndcent May 3, 2007 2:42 pm at 2:42 pm

They just released it…so it’s hard to say…it is a year round release though so that helps in finding it.

57. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty May 3, 2007 2:56 pm at 2:56 pm

Daz wrote Can I purchase this at.. persay.. a Giant Eagle?

that’s the only place I’ve bought it at so far, but normally the edmond fitz or the multi pack 12-pack. dunno bout the commodor.

58. Brewmaster
    Brewmaster May 3, 2007 3:16 pm at 3:16 pm

CBC Pale Ale is good stuff. For the warmer weather, I’m really liking thier IPA (its got a hint of grapefruit or something citrusy). Very refreshing.

Elevator’s IPA is reliably good, and thier beer of the month is Imperial India (IPA), so it should be pretty hoppy.

Don’t miss the Columbus Microbrew Festival this year at the North Market. It was tons of fun last year. All of the local breweries were represented (including Hoster…I guess someone is brewing it from the old recipe). It was only about $12 for 8 half-glass samples and they let you keep the festive pint glass. Everyone was obviously having a good time! :)

59. Ndcent
    Ndcent May 3, 2007 3:24 pm at 3:24 pm

What’s the date on that brew?

60. Ndcent
    Ndcent May 8, 2007 9:45 am at 9:45 am

I’ve got some killer beers for saturday if anyone is coming.

Walker May 8, 2007 10:01 am at 10:01 am

Might want to make a new thread in the “Misc Events” with all the details!

I’ll be there! 8)

62. Ndcent
    Ndcent May 8, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am

Walker wrote Might want to make a new thread in the “Misc Events” with all the details!

I’ll be there! 8)

63. mattkaz May 17, 2007 12:16 am at 12:16 am

Any Bells beer!

Two Hearted especially.

64. gigantor
    gigantor August 4, 2007 11:08 am at 11:08 am

Looks like I’m a little late to the party.

Bells, Founders, 3 Floyds are all fantastic breweries.

I highly suggest trying Bell’s Hopslam and Expedition Stout when they are “in season”. Check out their website for when they release beers.

65. WildmanDan August 4, 2007 11:10 am at 11:10 am

Always been a fan of Bells and have actually visited that Brewpub as well as Founders. But let’s not forget Stone, the California Brewer with Central Ohio roots.

66. Gerbeel Haamster August 8, 2007 8:07 pm at 8:07 pm

I agree, both Bells and Founders make good beers. I am especially fond of Bells’ Third Coast Beer (not the ale) — it’s a much more bitter, but lighter version of Anchor Steam.

My latest favorite is Otter Creek out of Vermont. They make a very good (acceptable to anybody’s taste) Pale Ale, but their best is the “Copper Ale”… not a “red” beer – has a very clear “hard water” aftertaste that I really like.

Another is Two Brothers (out of Illinois) “Bitter End” Pale Ale. It’s actually more of a light English Bitter, with a wonderful, buttery and then hard water aftertaste. But BEWARE of the “bottled on” date! This beer can go very bad, very quickly, if out-of-date.

67. naps
    naps August 8, 2007 8:11 pm at 8:11 pm

Gerbeel Haamster wrote

yeah, great beer!! I stopped there after boarding at Killington and was very pleased with all their brews!! 8)

68. Gerbeel Haamster August 8, 2007 8:19 pm at 8:19 pm

U Lucky. Love Vermont/N.H. Great creeks and waterfalls. Woods to get lost in.

69. Trixie
    Trixie August 9, 2007 10:16 am at 10:16 am

I wish I hated beer.

The Mr. and I went to Barley’s on 33 the other night. Brought home a gallon of their pilsner. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm… tried the pale ale. REALLY hoppy. The rest was awful. The wings were icky… the nachos were blah… I guess I have to eat deep fried wings from here on out.