Features

Be My Neighbor – Franklinton Edition

Bruce Warner Be My Neighbor – Franklinton Edition

I arrived in Franklinton in 1958 when I married Jan, an original Franklintonian. We didn’t have two cents to rub together and her parents. who lived on Avondale Avenue, took us in. I was trying to attend OSU and working part time. Our first son was born there and shortly after I took a regular job with the railroad. Wanting to spread our wings we took an apartment on the east side where our second son was born, a livable apartment but we wanted a place of our own.

We looked around some, but Franklinton beckoned and in 1961 we found a home on Hayden Avenue where we still live. The neighborhood was wonderful. Most homes were occupied by owners and most doubles were also owner occupied. All was well for about 20 years, but many of the homeowners were elderly and they began to pass away and their homes became rentals. Some of the homes began to fall into disrepair because of the federal flood plain restriction, but those folks who stayed held our block together. All of Franklinton suffered in the same manner with many blocks much, much worse.

The beautiful architecture of Avondale Elementary School.

March, 2004 saw the completion of the Franklinton Floodwall and the federal flood restrictions were lifted. The floodwall energized the flame, which had never gone out, to rebuild our neighborhoods. It began slowly at first and then new homes began to appear across Franklinton.

The Franklinton Development Association kept banging on doors and touting Franklinton as the best kept secret for a place to live. When Mayor Coleman and the City Council’s pilot Home Again Program began here in Franklinton, it had a snowball effect. Over 100 new builds and many super rehabs now grace our streets.

Franklinton Gardens can be found throughout the neighborhood.

The Franklinton Produce Market. The market operates two hours a day, six days a week in the St. John's Church parking lot (1003 W. Town St). Hours of operation are 9-11 am (M,W,F,SA) and 12-2 pm (T,TH).

An East Franklinton Creative Community District Plan is nearing acceptance. One hundred and fifty-four senior apartments have been built, 100 more are under construction for people at risk, and a new apartment complex for the Mount Carmel School of Nursing is fully occupied.

All this in 8 short years. The new builds haven’t hit my street yet, but it will!

And now, the homes!

House #1

249 Dana Avenue, 3 Bedrooms, 1 Full Bath and 1 Half Bath, 2,014 sq ft, $79,900

House #2

59 Avondale Avenue, 3 Bedrooms, 1 Full Bath and 1 Half Bath, 1,880 sq ft, $79,900

House #3

113-115 Avondale Avenue, Multi-Family Home, 4 Total Bedrooms, 2 Full Baths, 2,080 Total sq ft, $49,900

House #4

34 Hawkes Avenue, 3 Bedrooms, 2 Full Baths and 1 Half Bath, 1,680 sq ft, $90,000

House #5

86 Martin Avenue, 3 Bedrooms, 2 Full Baths, 1,558 sq ft, $68,000

Be My Neighbor is a series showcasing what your money can buy in different neighborhoods in Columbus. This is not professional advice and there is no financial incentive for us if these homes are purchased. We just want to showcase our great neighborhoods and the homes that are in them. All information was accurate to the best of our knowledge at time of publishing. If you are house hunting, good luck to you!

For more information on the Franklinton Produce Market, click here.

11 Responses to Be My Neighbor – Franklinton Edition

1. mrpoppinzs September 18, 2012 3:14 pm at 3:14 pm

Great story!

2. buckette13 September 18, 2012 5:38 pm at 5:38 pm

The area has had a lot of hard times. Those are nice houses but I think it will take a long time to revitalize that section of town.

3. mrsgeedeck September 18, 2012 6:00 pm at 6:00 pm

That school is gorgeous! I may need to check it out in person. The daily farmers market is a great assets to any area, hope it works to draw in home buyers.

4. mrmann September 18, 2012 9:29 pm at 9:29 pm

The prices of some of these homes surprises me. I am wondering how this grouping was assembled?

What is up with the attic window of house #2 ?
    Also the tiny vinyl windows and buckling siding on the second floor give pause. $80K !?

5. Anne Evans
    Anne September 19, 2012 9:28 am at 9:28 am

Hi mrmann, they’re just an assortment of homes I found using trulia and other real estate sites and by driving the neighborhood looking for signs. I had a few more, but I took the pictures last week and by yesterday, a few of them had gone into contract. There does seem to be quite a difference in prices in that neighborhood.

Dakota Avenue seemed to be pretty nice, between Broad and Rich Streets.

#4 is a newer place by the Franklinton Development Association.

6. mrpoppinzs September 19, 2012 2:07 pm at 2:07 pm

You would definitely need to have a thorough home inspection done.

Walker September 19, 2012 5:11 pm at 5:11 pm

Wouldn’t you want a thorough home inspection done on any home you buy?

8. mrpoppinzs September 19, 2012 5:19 pm at 5:19 pm

I should have put a ;). You wouldn’t need an inspector for that house.

The wonky window one is pretty nuts.

9. josiekat September 19, 2012 5:49 pm at 5:49 pm

I bought my home in Franklinton almost 10 years ago. Many of my neighbors have lived on this block their whole lives or close to it. Some since before the last flood. There is a real sense of community here. Although my part of Franklinton is not the part being promoted right now and seems to be struggling, I still think I made the right decision to move here. I hope more people with spunk and a pioneering attitude start calling Franklinton home. Sure some of the houses are wonky and need work but what part of Columbus doesn’t have houses like that? It’s the nature of old neighborhoods and what adds character over suburban developments.

10. mrpoppinzs September 19, 2012 6:28 pm at 6:28 pm

I am not knocking the neighborhood. There are some great people and nice houses in West Franklinton. It is nicely located near downtown and just south of Grandview. The window issue is one of poor craftsmanship in a low quality rehab. That is bad in any neighborhood.

I also want you to know that I remember seeing your post in another thread and I think that people like you go a long way to help their ‘hoods.

11. osharpiv
    osharpiv September 24, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am

Just Move into this neighborhood, Well the bottoms to be exact but close enough to Franklinton, It’s been a week and no problems yet, however if they just start from the bottoms and work there way up to the hilltop this area can change, serving special attention on west broad street itself.

features categories