Attention: Get to Pearl Alley for the Perfect Snack

lisathewaitress lisathewaitress

samosa

So, I just got back from the Pearl Market, and I had to sit right down and tell everyone to get there on their lunch break for some Nellie’s Samosas. I am always lamenting our lack of street food here in Cbus, so when I saw the samosas I was excited.

The samosas are fried fresh and they have this amazingly arromatic spice blend, and are only slightly spicy. There’s a nice little hot aftertaste, but the chai cooled it right down. I had the meat version, but they also have a vegetarian version. They are served with lemon wedges which they encourage you to squeeze over the pastry.

inside:

samosa inside

They also have freshly made iced chai which is very good. The woman in line in front of me said it tasted just like the chai in India. It was spicy and not too sweet, strong on the tea and refreshing. I am sure it will be welcome on days when it is really sweltering.

pearly market 013

2 palm-sized samosas are $4, Iced Chai was $2.50, so the snack (which could be lunch for some) was $6.50. totally worth it for the homemade treats. And if you are scared to buy, they have tiny little sample-sized samosas.

Please support small upstarts like this! They make our city a better place!

Nellie’s Samosa’s stand is located just north of Ringside, on the same side of the alley

55 Responses to Attention: Get to Pearl Alley for the Perfect Snack

1. Mercurius June 10, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am

+1 they were great

Mercurius wrote Just got back. Ran into a few friends and had a good time. Got some samosas and a chai, a pint of maple syrup from Fredricktown and some coffee from Global Gallery. There were more stands this year than I ever remember there being last year. There were probably eight or nine vegetable stands, many with the nicest strawberries I’ve seen this year. In addition to the bluegrass band, El Arepazo had a latin band playing out front. It is a bit odd that most people are on lunch break and have to go back to work hince the lack of buying, but always happy to have a midweek market. Still have a ways to catch up with Portobello, Dane County or Sunset Valley.

2. Mercurius June 10, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am

going to go get them now!

3. JonMyers June 10, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm

Going there now!

4. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 10, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm

I’m not downtown.

Why did you have to do that to me!!!

I love, love, LOVE samosas.

Ugh…so hungry now.

5. deraj1013
    deraj1013 June 10, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm

I see a lunch break in my near future…

6. Indie Pen Dent June 10, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm

Looks delicious! :shock:

7. Bear
    Bear June 10, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm

Serendipity!! Just heading down in a half-hour or so to sample Brioso coffee and have some Arepazo. Thanks, Lisa!

8. lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress June 10, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm

9. JonMyers June 10, 2008 1:17 pm at 1:17 pm

It was great. I hope they do well. Only thing missing was CHUTNEY.

10. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 10, 2008 1:21 pm at 1:21 pm

lisathewaitress wrote Bear (and any other goat lovers) – There is a vendor there who sells frozen goat! Just so you know!

I’ve had goat at a few places in the DFW area and it was always sooo good. I wish I knew how to prepare it. I’d buy some.

11. somertimeoh
    somertimeoh June 10, 2008 2:09 pm at 2:09 pm

osulew wrote

MMM, I’m thinking goat roast in Merc’s backyard this summer. He already has a fire pit and I bet Sherm can make us a spit :)

12. michaelcoyote June 10, 2008 2:28 pm at 2:28 pm

somertimeoh wrote
    osulew wrote

Waiting for bear to pop up with his smoked goat.

13. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 10, 2008 2:31 pm at 2:31 pm

michaelcoyote wrote
    somertimeoh wrote
    osulew wrote

Waiting for bear to pop up with his smoked goat.

^^^^ That gives me a funny mental picture.

I’m stupid and can’t stop laughing.

Smoked goat would be delish though. I would eat it once I stop laughing.

14. Mike Brown
    michaels14 June 10, 2008 2:38 pm at 2:38 pm

They are perfect. I couldn’t believe how light they tasted, even with all that content and spice. Great munchies.

15. Bear
    Bear June 10, 2008 2:59 pm at 2:59 pm

Aargh — missed the goat!! But got the samosas, which were delicious. I told the two ladies there that the word about their tasty snacks had spread via Columbus Underground, courtesy of the Restaurant Widow, and they were wide-eyed with amazement (a) that word could possibly spread so quickly, and (b) that people would be kind enough to go out of their way to promote their business for them without any prompting. They asked us to convey their sincere thanks, which I am happy to do.

michaelcoyote wrote Waiting for bear to pop up with his smoked goat.

You know it, baby. I bet I can fit six boneless shoulders into the Rocket, all at once. Now that’s a party.

16. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 10, 2008 3:03 pm at 3:03 pm

Bear wrote

michaelcoyote wrote Waiting for bear to pop up with his smoked goat.

17. Bear
    Bear June 10, 2008 3:28 pm at 3:28 pm

osulew wrote I know you live close. Michael told me. Don’t make me hunt you down. I will eat your rocket goat.

No worries any time soon, for two reasons. One, Blues Creek can only produce two goat shoulders per week, ‘cuz that’s all the shoulders a goat has. Unless there are other purveyors, but I’m not sure about the quality of the meat I’d get elsewhere (not meaning to cast aspersions — just very happy with BC). Two, having just hosted a string of gatherings and had my parents in town, I’m going to have to let my bank account recharge a bit before a goat blowout is in the cards.

But rest assured, rocket goat will happen. It’s just a matter of time.

18. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 10, 2008 3:33 pm at 3:33 pm

Bear wrote

goat blowout

I have no words for this.

19. Columbusite June 10, 2008 3:38 pm at 3:38 pm

Being a samosa lover, I’m going to end up here soon enough. I saw them last week, but I was getting groceries, needed bread for sandwiches. With the market going on now, that must explain the Mennonite in a straw hat and full beard biking down the sidewalk. Another plus for Downtown.

20. FACSman June 10, 2008 4:03 pm at 4:03 pm

google cabrito for recipes

21. Bear
    Bear June 10, 2008 8:29 pm at 8:29 pm

FACSman wrote google cabrito for recipes

Or just rub with curry mix of choice, plus whatever strikes your fancy, drop into a smoker filled with charcoal and a half-dozen chunks of cherry or apple or whatever hardwood you like, keep between 225º and 250º F., and cook to an internal temperature of 190º F. Shouldn’t take more than, oh, 12-14 hours. Wrap in foil, rest in a cooler for 1-2 hours to let the juices be reabsorbed into the meat. Pull, mix with sauce mixture of your choice (I prefer one with a curry base, with some fruit in it — bananas or mangoes work well), and serve still steaming.

Question is, can Lew still type, or has saliva shorted out her keyboard?

(And did Michael tell her exactly where I live, or just approx– hey, that’s the doorbell, how odd….)

22. KSquared June 10, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm

Bear wrote

goat blowout

I have no words for this.

Between this and eating his rocket goat, neither do I :lol:

I heart you Lew.

23. Bear
    Bear June 11, 2008 1:04 am at 1:04 am

KSquared wrote
    Bear wrote

goat blowout

I have no words for this.

Between this and eating his rocket goat, neither do I :lol:

I heart you Lew.

:roll: sigh

24. lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress June 20, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am

went down this morning and had a new addition to the pack – Chicken Saag samosa, i think it was my favorite so far. Nice and spicy with good spinach, not that almost creamed sort you sometimes get. They are $1 more, but it truth, I’m full after 2.

ALSO, the folks from Snowville Creamery were there today, get some milk or cream and you can join me in my dairy adventures as I make some ricotta, creme fraiche, and more butter this week!

25. joev
    joev June 20, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm

I thought hard about the milk, but I’ve got a 2-mile walk home. Maybe at the NorMar tomorrow. Lisa – did you use cream or whole milk for your butter, and what was the yield?

26. lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress June 20, 2008 1:09 pm at 1:09 pm

joev wrote I had the veggie samosas for lunch – definitely enough for a meal! Also bought some new potatoes, English peas and Gretna grilling cheese – I’m excited to try this out – I love Halloumi and it’s a comparable price (and local to boot!)

I use heavy cream for the butter ($8 for half gallon, $2.50 cheaper than at Kroger, btw); the yield is a little hard to guage, because the fat solids separate from the buttermilk, so the yield is only a few ounces less than the amount of cream you use. You get around 1/2 as much buttermilk as butter, depending on the fat content of the cream; today’s was around 30%, they told me, typically it’s around 40%. I noticed the yield was better if I cultured the cream first – put the cream in a jar, add a good spoonful of plain, whole-milk yogurt and set at room temp for 24 hours before whipping.

If you use the butter and the buttermilk, then you really aren’t wasting anything. The buttermilk is amazing (especially the cultured buttermilk), and makes really delicious salad dressing (ranchish). Just add it to an herb blend which does not contain milk or buttermilk powder, along with an equal part of real mayo.

sorry it’s a little off-topic…

27. maggiemay June 20, 2008 1:50 pm at 1:50 pm

I had the veggie samosas last week and they were awesome. The fresh squeezed lemon was different from what I am used to, but it was really good. The chai is good too.

Just got back and there was a new stand beside the samosas stand (can’t remember the name – something to do with cheese). They had little egg roll type things with different fillings. I had spinach and ricotta, with marinara for dipping, my bf had shrimp and veggies, with a sweet chilli dipping sauce. Those were really good too. I love the Pearl Alley Market!

28. zp945
    zp945 June 20, 2008 2:43 pm at 2:43 pm

joev wrote Also bought some new potatoes, English peas and Gretna grilling cheese – I’m excited to try this out – I love Halloumi and it’s a comparable price (and local to boot!)

Does this mean that Blue Jacket Dairy is at the Pearl Alley Market? I haven’t made it down there but I want to check it out.

29. joev
    joev June 20, 2008 2:49 pm at 2:49 pm

ZPIZZA wrote

It was there today, and I think the last time I went as well (about two weeks ago.) They also had fresh mozzarela and one other type of cheese.

30. Bear
    Bear June 21, 2008 2:08 am at 2:08 am

Blue Jacket was there. Colleen picked up some of their grilling cheese and grilled it tonight, then trickled a bit of balsamic vinegar over the top. It was absurdly good.

I should also mention that Dawn Combs of Mockingbird Meadows is at Pearl Street on Fridays. I visited them today and they’re in a somewhat out-of-the-way place, far down the alley on the left, where they might not get noticed much. Dawn’s honeys are really impressive — she’s got a chef’s palate, and her infusions are creative and delicious. Colleen was so impressed by Dawn’s honeys that she set up a tasting and tour at her farm (CU announcement, Slow Food Columbus events page) on July 13. They’re the real deal — I strongly recommend checking them out.

31. Stacky June 21, 2008 3:53 pm at 3:53 pm

lisathewaitress wrote I also just made ricotta, creme fraiche and whipped cream with palm sugar simple syrup for the strawberries i bought at the pearl market.

This is beautiful- people are absolutely amazing at describing food and/or recipes in ways that make it difficult to concentrate on responding over the sound of my growling stomach, smacking lips and feet attempting to drag me toward my purse in sweet anticipation.

Between this lovely concoction, the rocket lamb blowout fiesta and grilling cheese with balsamic vinegar I forgot what I was going to say about the treasure troves at Pearl Street market!

32. joev
    joev June 24, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm

33. shmack
    shmack June 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm

this tarragon beurre blanc is my favorite. mmmm. so fresh and crisp. perfect for tonight!

34. joev
    joev June 24, 2008 1:01 pm at 1:01 pm

Shmack – that sounds AWESOME – thanks!

35. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 24, 2008 1:10 pm at 1:10 pm

joev wrote Got some beets, heirloom radishes, a tiny bunch of kale and some flowers today. I’m thinking beets with chevre and mint for a first course tonight! And maybe some radishes with tarragon butter (I’m trying to make my own, thanks to inspiration from lisathewaitress.)

36. John Ross
    John Ross June 24, 2008 4:30 pm at 4:30 pm

Yeah, whoever said Pearl Market is lame is lame.

37. John Ross
    John Ross June 24, 2008 4:31 pm at 4:31 pm

osulew wrote Merc made a beet and chevre terrine one night that was soooo good. He drizzled honey on it…and i think he maybe mixed some in with the chevre too. It was so good…I still dream about it sometimes.

I’ll dribble honey on you…

38. hazy stars June 24, 2008 4:31 pm at 4:31 pm

osulew wrote

Merc [and hazy] made a beet and chevre terrine one night that was soooo good. He drizzled honey on it…and i think he maybe mixed some in with the chevre too. It was so good…I still dream about it sometimes.

I made an edit.

39. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 24, 2008 4:40 pm at 4:40 pm

John Ross wrote

I’ll dribble honey on you…

Whooo.

Sticky!

:oops:

40. Bear
    Bear June 24, 2008 4:47 pm at 4:47 pm

osulew wrote
    John Ross wrote I’ll dribble honey on you…

Whooo.

Sticky!

Clearly, I shouldn’t have recommended the Mockingbird Meadows honey, with the two of you around. :)

41. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 24, 2008 5:56 pm at 5:56 pm

Bear wrote
    osulew wrote
    John Ross wrote I’ll dribble honey on you…

Whooo.

Sticky!

Don’t worry.

I’m not worth the expensive stuff.

The beets and chevre would be though fo’ sho’

42. Bear
    Bear June 24, 2008 6:04 pm at 6:04 pm

Bear wrote
    osulew wrote
    John Ross wrote I’ll dribble honey on you…

Whooo.

Sticky!

Don’t worry.

I’m not worth the expensive stuff.

The beets and chevre would be though fo’ sho’

You misunderstand!! I have no doubt you’re worth every penny and more. But the proposed activity sounds inherently… imprecise? And the prospect of that superb honey going to waste — that is, not being consumed in its entirety — is a tragic one.

43. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 24, 2008 6:05 pm at 6:05 pm

Bear wrote
    Bear wrote
    osulew wrote
    John Ross wrote I’ll dribble honey on you…

Whooo.

Sticky!

Don’t worry.

I’m not worth the expensive stuff.

The beets and chevre would be though fo’ sho’

When I smear honey all over myself, I only use the stuff in the bear shaped jar. It’s just a rule.

44. Bear
    Bear June 24, 2008 6:18 pm at 6:18 pm

Bear wrote
    Bear wrote
    osulew wrote
    John Ross wrote I’ll dribble honey on you…

Whooo. Sticky!

Don’t worry.

I’m not worth the expensive stuff.

The beets and chevre would be though fo’ sho’

I’m honored.

(Take THAT, John Ross!)

45. Lauren Wilson
    osulew June 24, 2008 6:20 pm at 6:20 pm

:lol:

So yeah…about those radishes…

46. dirtgirl June 25, 2008 4:39 pm at 4:39 pm

47. Bear
    Bear June 25, 2008 5:24 pm at 5:24 pm

dirtgirl wrote So I was amused to see that yesterday the samosa booth had a little sign posted with a “Columbus Underground” banner and quotes from this thread raving about their food.

Excellent!!

48. lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress June 25, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm

Take that TOP – our ilk IS changing the world!! For the samosa goddesses, if for no one else! I am so adicted to their chai I bought some the other day, walked through the market, and then had them refill it when I bought my samosas. Those samosa girls might be responsible for any extra pounds I gain this summer.

Walker June 26, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am

That’s awesome!

I’ll have to stop in and check them out myself! :D

50. lifeontwowheels June 26, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am

I think words fail to describe their deliciousness. My new Friday thing, though I am missing this week.

51. Rocknrolloutlaws June 27, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm

I had these for the first time today, sampled the meat, veggie and chicken. All were delicious, definitely going to be going back for more.

I saw the CU printout that others mentioned. It was featured prominently on the table in a gold frame. The women working there were incredibly nice too.

I also got some grillin’ cheese, can’t wait to try that out for the first time as well.

The atmosphere in the alley definitely got me even more psyched for Comfest…5 o’clock can’t come soon enough.

52. Drew July 22, 2008 1:22 pm at 1:22 pm

Just had a couple of these… yeah… do yourself a favor and pay them a visit.

53. Chris Sunami
    kitoba August 2, 2008 3:08 am at 3:08 am

CU is two for two on great lunches for me in the past couple of days. Today I checked out another place I’ve been dying to try… Nellie’s Samosa stand.

Several nice surprises along the way. Haven’t been to Gay street in a while, and by golly don’t it look like a real downtown neighborhood! Street cafes, funky shops –it had the feel of classic metropolitan living.

The market in Pearl Alley was an even better surprise. Vendors, artists, musicians, fresh produce, specialty meats –how have I missed all this? And best of all, real meat samosas. I haven’t had those since I left Kenya a decade ago, and believe me, I’ve missed them. The people at the stand told me that Indians from India only make vegetarian samosas, but that they were from Uganda. Anyway, fantastic, especially with a perfect iced chai.

54. columbusfoodie
    swampkitty June 19, 2009 6:35 pm at 6:35 pm

Well, it only took me a year to get to the Pearl Market to try these…

…but OMFG do they live up to the hype. The veggie are the best I’ve had in Columbus, and the meat are even better than the veggie, if that’s even possible.

Yes, parking was a bitch, but worth the hassle. Think I’ll be going to this market more often.