Features

At Home: In Harrison West

Anne Evans Anne Evans At Home: In Harrison West

Diesha and Chris Condon have been fans of Columbus for all of their lives. They each grew up in Groveport and went to school together. After high school, Diesha decided to leave the Columbus area for college and lived in Miami, Florida and Albuquerque, New Mexico. Living in those other cities made her realize how much she missed her family and the city that she left behind.

“I love the Short North and I love the people – the people are so kind here,” she shared. While she did enjoy living elsewhere, she decided to move back to call Columbus home. At first, she and Chris lived in a duplex on First Avenue until they decided they were ready to become home owners.

The Hamilton Parker CompanyAbout five years ago, they started looking for their first home to purchase. “We knew we wanted to buy a home in Harrison West, but didn’t want an old house,” said Chris.

The 1500 square foot, 3 bedroom, 2 and a half bath newer-build home they found was a perfect fit for them. They would be only the second couple to own the home and it really only needed cosmetic changes. Upon entering the dining room and discovering a bar hidden behind a painting with a tap to a kegerator in the basement, Chris was sold!

One of the first things they did was reside and repaint the exterior of the home. The original color scheme was a bright collection of Easter egg colors – pastel pinks, greens and purples. They drove around the neighborhood, picking out colors they loved and decided on a classic color scheme.

The secret bar.

They also needed to fence off the front yard for their two rescued dogs. Chris bought fence remnants from Fortin Ironworks and painted and installed it. The end result is a beautiful fenced in area that secure and looks like it has always been there.

On the inside, the couple painted most of the walls, toning down bright colors with neutral paints. They changed out the carpets and lighting fixtures throughout the house. In the kitchen, they changed the countertops.

Chris shared that his favorite thing about the home is all of the memories they’ve made in their first home together. They are members of the Harrison West Society and especially love the summer time when weekends are filled with things to do. Their proximity to Goodale Park is a big plus, they love the park – Chris plays basketball there and also proposed to Diesha at the gazebo.

Diesha has made some of the art hanging in their home. Her mother also does some painting and has given them pieces. They also own a piece from the Terra Gallery, a few from pm gallery, as well as a piece by Ryan Orewiler that Diesha won at an auction at the Short North Gala.

Sculptures from pm gallery, left. Scultpure from Terra Gallery, center. Artwork by Ryan Orewiler, right.

Their home most often has fresh flowers from Rose Bredl and over the holidays had a beautiful arrangement using pine cones. “I would buy everything in there if I could,” shared Diesha.

Eventually, they would like to finish the basement into a movie room and add a garage. Redoing the master bath is also on their list. Future makeovers aside, Diesha and Chris truly enjoy raising their sons here and are happy to call Harrison West home.

At Home is a monthly column on Columbus Underground focused on urban home remodeling and style as well as older home renovations and unique homes in Columbus. If you would like to have your home featured in the At Home series, please send me an email at Anne@columbusunderground.com.

The Hamilton Parker Company[At Home is sponsored by The Hamilton Parker Company. Located in Columbus, Delaware and Cincinnati. The Columbus Showroom, open to the public and located at I-670 and Leonard Avenue, features brick & stone, ceramic tiles, garage doors and fireplaces for your home and landscaping projects. Currently, all tile is 15% off retail, you can find some deals that are 60-70% off! Orchid tile as low as 50 cents per square foot. Click here for current promotions or stop by their showroom. M-F 8-5pm, Sat 8-noon, Extended hours Tue & Thur 5-7pm]

11 Responses to At Home: In Harrison West

1. Gig3000 February 5, 2012 11:16 am at 11:16 am

I love these articles!

2. leftovers February 5, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am

We can’t really afford to buy there atm, but I think HW would be the best area to raise a family in the central core. That house looks great – especially for a more recent build.

3. howatzer February 5, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm

so where are they thinking of moving to once their kids hit school age? UA  or Gahanna?

Walker February 5, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm

Harrison West is in the boundaries for the 5th Avenue Alternative Elementary, which is a pretty good school from what I’ve read and seen. We’ve visited and liked it and are considering it ourselves for lottery. It’s also a K-8, so you don’t have to worry about middle school.

Harrison West is int he boundaries for Whetstone High School, which is also a pretty good school.

Not a bad area at all for families with school-age children.

5. Charlie
    Charlie February 5, 2012 4:07 pm at 4:07 pm

Love the secret bar.

6. howatzer February 5, 2012 9:34 pm at 9:34 pm

“Harrison West is in the boundaries for the 5th Avenue Alternative Elementary, which is a pretty good school from what I’ve read and seen.”
    Can you point to me anything?  I have yet to see anything positive about that school. I live in it’s district, so I would love to be wrong.

Walker February 5, 2012 9:46 pm at 9:46 pm

5th Avenue is ranked as “Effective” on the 2009-2010 report (their website says “Continuous Improvement”, which may be out of date?) which isn’t top tier, but better than many other inner-city schools. We’ve spoken to a few friends who have sent kids there and had good experiences. I’d recommend taking a tour to meet teachers at any school you’re considering to get a feel for it. 5th Avenue also offers gifted classes and teaches Mandarin to all grade levels. Additionally, there are many lottery and private school options within CCS for those who live in any neighborhood. Everyone will have different expectations and desires, so I’d say it’s worthy of further investigation before uprooting and moving out of the area.

8. FrankTank
    FrankTank February 6, 2012 9:56 am at 9:56 am

Thanks for sharing your home, I always enjoy this section!

9. vestanpance
    vestanpance February 6, 2012 2:31 pm at 2:31 pm

I have the same house! Looks like they layout inside is a little different, but the outside is the same. It’s fun to see what others did with it. HW FTW!
    Dan

10. Likes Old Houses
    Likes Old Houses February 7, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am

What a great house!  I have only been in a few of the M/I builds from the 80′s, and most of them have aged/ been renovated pretty well.
     +1 to leftovers – As new parents ourselves, we think that Harrison West is a great place to raise a family.  We have a so many playgrounds and parks with a few block walk.  I think there will be a lot of strollers out when spring arrives.

11. laawalla February 23, 2012 8:35 pm at 8:35 pm

howatzer:
    As a resident of this neighborhood and neighbor of Chris and Diesha, I have to disagree with your comments. There are multiple families on this block alone with school age children. I don’t know where every kid goes to school, but I can say there are families of all types who live in the area and are committed for the long term. There are parks, restaurants and grocery stores nearby, and for those who work in or near downtown, a short commute and more time to spend with family is worth a lot.
    I can’t speak for the school system, but I would be pretty surprised if Chris and Diesha leave anytime in the near future. They’ve put so much work into improving their house and community and are a great asset to the neighborhood. If the schools in the area aren’t great now, it’s families like these who will be the ones to help improve them for the next generation.

features categories